Tuesday 19 March 2013

Worcester

My second home! And finally I can pronounce it properly. It must be one of the only place names in American English that isn't said phonetically. So Welcome to Woooooostaaa!

Only a 1.5 hour commuter rail ride away from Boston. Arriving in the beautifully restored Union Station and being collected by a cheery Matthew Guiry in his maroon wheels, suitably named 'big bertha', is always a great escape from bustling Boston and a giddy start to the weekend.

As a student scraping savings, it's funny how I naturally appreciate the homely comforts such as a cosy couch and spongy carpet plus a genuine friend to share stories with. I will take any excuse to cook a tasty meal or flop out in front of a movie in Matthew's snug apartment. It's the simple things in life that urge the smiles! One memory I will never forget is our 'breakfast fit for a king' where we just indulged beyond belief and prepared a lavish morning feast to scoff. Shortly after, we felt the need to stroll around Elm Park and flex it out, while regretting the mindless munching of cine-buns and blueberry cake.
I am always thankful that I have crossed paths with such a chirpy fella and although he beats me at bowling every time, I try not to hold a grudge. We sing the 'Les Miserable' soundtrack at the top of our voices when in the car, sample plenty of restaurants (Steve's Pizzeria, The Olive Garden, Fire and Ice), browse the shops, rent movies from the RedBox, wander around new places, sip on Starbucks and although I know the time will come when I have to say goodbye to some of these special people who have impacted my life. Worcester will always be my home from home.

I questioned why the street signs were printed with a red heart throughout the city and later discovered it is because the city is know to be at the heart of Massachusetts - at the Heart of the Commonwealth. 
This stunning house reminds me of the one from the movie 'The Notebook'



No comments:

Post a Comment